[Debian-med-packaging] Package ncbi-entrez-direct extremaly outdated

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 25 06:39:26 BST 2018

Hi Alan,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 06:16:58PM +0000, Alan Daniel Weiss wrote:
> Dear mantainers,

> The package ncbi-entrez-direct is very outdated, will it receave any update
> soon?
>  Is there any way I can help? I have some knowledge in debian packaging.

> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/entrezdirect/versions/

> The latest versions provide new tools, archive-pubmed is and example.

The ncbi-entrez-direct package in Ubuntu is synced with Debian.  I would
suggest that you work with the Debian maintainers (cc:ed) in order to get
this package updated.

Note that new upstream versions of a package will not be added to stable
releases of Ubuntu.  Unfortunately the timing of this question is such that
any update will miss inclusion in the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release, but you may
still find it useful to work with the Debian maintainers to prepare an
updated package which you could then build in a launchpad ppa for use on
Ubuntu.

Hope that helps,