[Debian-med-packaging] Help to build libsmithwaterman with gcc-8 needed

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Aug 5 16:05:29 BST 2018

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:44 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu> wrote:
>> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsmithwaterman
>> > collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>> Well, your Makefile.am doesn't say you need to build the lib before the
>> binary.
>
> Strange.  I have never seen such kind of specification and I assumed
> that this is automatically the case.  I checked some references about
> automake and also example packages but failed to find a clue.  Could you
> give any more detailed hint to specify that the library needs to be
> build first.

Stare at
https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Libtool-Libraries.html
for a minute; that seems to imply the answer.  Try this: in Makefile.am, change

LDADD = -lsmithwaterman -ldisorder

smithwaterman_LDADD = libsmithwaterman.la -ldisorder

Then build, and double-check the generated Makefile to verify that it says
smithwaterman_DEPENDENCIES = libsmithwaterman.la

And Bob's your uncle!