[Debian-med-packaging] Please always use `gbp import-orig --pristine-tar` for new upstream versions (Was: [Git][med-team/invesalius] Pushed new tag upstream/3.1.99991)

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Mon Aug 20 16:35:14 BST 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:14:42AM -0300, Thiago Franco Moraes wrote:
> I haven't used gbp with --pristine-tar option. I tried to rerun gbp with
> the pristine-tar option but it didn't work,

What errors?  The only error I would expect is that upstream/VERSION
tag is just set.  You can remove this tag and than it should work.

> it gives me some errors. Is
> there a way to create the pristine-tar branch by myself?

I think there is but you need to read the docs.  I never ever had any
need to do that manually and I simply don't know, sorry.

> Thanks for all you help, Andreas.

Please make always sure for new upstream versions you follow the Debian
Med team policy[1] and use

   gbp import-orig --pristine-tar /path/to/package_version.orig.tar.gz

Hmmm, I tried the approach to delete the tag upstream/3.1.99991 and
did the said import with the tarball I get when using uscan.  There
are lots of diffs in several *.py files:

M       app.py
M       docs/devel/example_singleton_pubsub.py
M       invesalius/constants.py
M       invesalius/control.py
M       invesalius/data/bases.py
M       invesalius/data/coordinates.py
M       invesalius/data/coregistration.py
M       invesalius/data/cursor_actors.py
M       invesalius/data/geometry.py
M       invesalius/data/imagedata_utils.py
M       invesalius/data/mask.py
M       invesalius/data/measures.py
M       invesalius/data/polydata_utils.py
M       invesalius/data/slice_.py
M       invesalius/data/styles.py
M       invesalius/data/surface.py
M       invesalius/data/surface_process.py

That's not good.  We should definitely base the Debian package on the
downloadable tarball.  I have no idea how to deal with this.  Can you
please confirm that what you get when doing

     uscan --verbose --force-download

is **exactly** the source tarball we want to use for the Debian package?
(With exactly I mean same md5sum not only identical code - but even this
seems to be not fulfilled.)

[1] https://med-team.pages.debian.net/policy/#git-tips