[Debian-med-packaging] How to upgrade code from batik 1.8 to 1.10 which is lacking XMLConstants [Was: cgview.jar does not find class from batik-util]

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Aug 22 08:38:14 BST 2018

Hi Olivier,

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 09:18:12AM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> looking at batik-util.jar, I see no org/apache/batik/util/XMLConstants
> inside
>

> I can see it in batik  source code version 1.8 [0], but in 1.10 (debian
> version)  [1], XMLConstants is not here
>

> [0]
> https://github.com/apache/batik/tree/batik-1_8/sources/org/apache/batik/util
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/apache/batik/tree/trunk/batik-util/src/main/java/org/apache/batik/util

Thanks for this analysis.

> so cgview is not up-to-date with current batik version. package needs to
> be updated to batik 1.10 (if possible..)

CGView was not updated since 2010 but I keep upstream Paul Stothard in
this conversation.  I'm pretty sure that he would be happy to have some
patch for the issue.  However, as you know, usually JAR's are included
into the downloadable archive and thus the issue we are facing in Debian
when using system libraries exclusively does not exist for the general
user and thus the motivation at upstream site might be low to migrate to
a more recent batik version.

Since I personally have no idea how to replace XMLConstants when using
batik 1.10 (and I also failed with a web search for a migration path) I'd
be really happy about a patch.