[Debian-med-packaging] Problem with lintian error symbols-file-contains-current-version-with-debian-revision

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed May 23 11:11:45 BST 2018

Hi,

I've created a symbols file for libseqlib version 1.1.1+dfsg since I
suspected an ABI change by upstream.  A test build with this symbols
file went fine without lintian errors.  I upgraded to libseqlib version
1.1.2 which in fact had an ABI change[2].  I have upgraded the symbols
file accordingly[3].  When I build this package I get:

E: libseqlib1: symbols-file-contains-current-version-with-debian-revision on symbol _ZN12aho_corasick10basic_trieIcE10parse_textENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE at Base and 433 others
N:
N:    Debian revisions should be stripped from versions in symbols files. Not
N:    doing so leads to dependencies unsatisfiable by backports (1.0-1~bpo <<
N:    1.0-1 while 1.0-1~bpo >= 1.0). If the Debian revision can't be stripped
N:    because the symbol really appeared between two specific Debian
N:    revisions, you should postfix the version with a single "~" (example:
N:    1.0-3~ if the symbol appeared in 1.0-3).
N:
N:    This problem normally means that the symbols were added automatically by
N:    dpkg-gensymbols. dpkg-gensymbols uses the full version number for the
N:    dependency associated to any new symbol that it detects. The maintainer
N:    must update the debian/<package>.symbols file by adding the new symbols
N:    with the corresponding upstream version.
N:
N:    Severity: important, Certainty: certain
N:
N:    Check: shared-libs, Type: binary, udeb
N:

I wonder whether I'm missing something but this smeels like a wrong
lintian warning to me since the Debian revision "-1" was stripped from
the diff.  To be sure to not create noise for lintian in BTS I'd like
to have a second pair of eyeballs on this symbols file.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/libseqlib/blob/23e6ae31d0155b6b5011aabdc3944b695ed79986/debian/libseqlib0.symbols
[2] https://github.com/walaj/SeqLib/issues/24
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/libseqlib/commit/b8991175a61613622bf9776a296967740db74057