[Debian-med-packaging] Python 3.9 for bullseye

Matthias Klose doko at debian.org
Sun Dec 6 15:58:49 GMT 2020

On 11/9/20 10:19 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 10/23/20 1:07 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> On 10/18/20 12:13 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> Python 3.9 as a supported Python3 version is now in unstable, and all binNMUs
>>> are done (thanks to Graham for the work).   Bug reports should be all filed for
>>> all known problems [1], and the current state of the 3.9 addition can be seen at
>>> [2] (a few of the "bad" are false packages with b-d n python3-all-dev, but not
>>> building for 3.9, bug reports also filed).
>>>
>>> The major outstanding issue is the pandas stack, all other problems are found in
>>> leaf packages (leaf in the sense of that no other package for the 3.9 addition
>>> is blocked).
>>>
>>> Please help fixing the remaining issues!
>>>
>>> Matthias
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=python3.9;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org
>>> [2] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9.html
>>
>> Going on with a test rebuild of 3.9 as default to file bug reports for more
>> packages.  The first stage1 packages for 3.9 as default [1] can be found at
>>
>>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~doko/tmp/python3.9 ./
>>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~ginggs/python3.9-repo ./
>>
>> The first repo just having the python3-defaults packages from experimental. The
>> second repo of course will be outdated very soon ...  Bug reports for stage1 are
>> filed, Graham is now running the test builds for stage2.
>>
>> The autopkg test results at [2] need checking. There's currently a britney bug
>> which marks things as bad, and only gets it right after a week. Plus there's no
>> way to select an "unrelated" package from unstable for a test, and have it
>> marked as a successful test.  So basically you need to wait until all the 3.9
>> related fixes migrate to testing for running a successful autopkg test.
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> [1] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9-default.html
>> [2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python3-defaults
>
>  - python3-defaults now migrated to testing.  The following packages were
>    removed from testing with fastened hints.

python3-defaults 3.9.0-3 (supporting 3.8 and 3.9, defaulting to 3.9) is now in
testing.

python3-defaults 3.9.0-4 (supporting only 3.9, defaulting to 3.9) is now in
unstable.  After that version migrates to testing, we'll do the binNMUs to drop
the extensions for 3.8 (this way we avoid testing against 3.8 again).

python3-defaults 3.9.1-1 is expected next week with the upstream Python 3.9.1
release.

We are not yet finished, still having the list list of RC issues at [1].

If you think that your package needs a break, because it is likely to break with
partial upgrades, leave a message at https://bugs.debian.org/976655. I'll add
these breaks as we had them for 3.7 (but didn't have them for 3.8).

Maybe now is also the time to look at packages with outdated upstream versions
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=python-modules-team%40lists.alioth.debian.org
lists 30-40% outdated source packages.

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=team%2Bpython%40tracker.debian.org
looks a bit better.