[Debian-med-packaging] Samtools rec: dependencies are too aggressive.

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Jun 18 20:34:51 BST 2020

Hi Alan,

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 04:06:09PM +0000, Hoyle, Alan P wrote:
> There's no particular hurry to fix things from my perspective: my use case is relatively obscure, with an easy work-around (--no-install-recommends), and even if I forget the only costs are slightly bigger images and slightly slower installs.

Bug that was proxy-files by Steffen is fixed now (hopefully).

> This was my first time making a suggestion about a debian package, so I tried the method documented at https://www.debian.org/contact

Well

   https://www.debian.org/contact#packageproblems

gives "instructions for filing bug reports" which presents
as first sentence

  We strongly recommend that you report bugs in Debian using the reportbug program.

;-)

> It didn't seem like this was a "bug" the way I thought about it:  I mean, everything does actually work, it just installs extra stuff, so I thought I would do the second method listed there and email the maintainer directly.

This is definitely a bug for you - of severity wishlist or minor
depending how you feel about it.

> At this point, would it be helpful if I created a bug report for this issue?

As I wrote below I've fixed in Git.  If you want this properly documeted
its possible even now OK to use reportbug.  But may be we do not need this
post-fixed-situation bureaucracy.  Just tell me whether you want me to
upload the package soonish.

> Note that my primary use of debian is through container images (Docker and Singularity) , so I'd have to make a special image to install reportbug.

In any case it would be sensible to have one instance featuring reportbug
for this purpose.