[Debian-med-packaging] [covid-19] Help for ocaml package needed

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Fri May 29 11:08:45 BST 2020

Hi Shayan,

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:04:56PM +0100, Shayan Doust wrote:
> I had a look at the currently packaged mcl and the mcl clone (the one
> with the bindings on github).
>
> The mcl[1] clone seems to be a lot older than the debian packaged;
> looking at the _oasis file it seems like the version is 12-068~oasis4
> compared to the packaged one which is 1:14-137. This means that the mcl
> clone would actually be in sync and would be built on top of presumably
> this debian mcl state[2] which is 8 years old. I'm worried about any
> incompatibilities should the code base or the pristine tarball now
> reflect the mcl clone instead.

I confirm that

   https://github.com/fhcrc/mcl/blob/master/VERSION

says "12-068" which is actually the 8 years old state.  In Debian we
upgraded to version "14-137".  I wonder whether the author of the clone
could try to re-check the code base?

> Any suggestions as to how I can go forward and incorporate this
> OCaml-enhanced mcl, presumably not in a separate package due to the
> duplication of code?

I assume the mcl development is really stalled.  But I'd love to see a
discussion between upstream and the maintainer of the 12-068 fork
whether they could settle with a common code base which also includes
the OCaml support.  May be the first step could be to open an issue
at [1] and ask for updating the code base?

Thanks a lot for your investigation.