[Debian-med-packaging] libzeep_5.0.2-1_source.changes REJECTED

Maarten L. Hekkelman maarten at hekkelman.com
Sun Nov 15 20:02:33 GMT 2020

Op 15-11-2020 om 18:48 schreef Debian FTP Masters:
> Source-only uploads to NEW are not allowed.
>
> binary:libzeep5 is NEW.
>
> ===
>
> Please feel free to respond to this email if you don't understand why
> your files were rejected, or if you upload new files which address our
> concerns.

The current libzeep in unstable is blocked from moving into testing
because of bug #974074. In that bug the real problem seems to be that
the package in fact does not contain a shared library, only a static one.

So I rewrote upstream to support shared libraries. Took me a couple of
days full time work (fortunately __attribute__(weak) came to the rescue)
but I ran into two hard to solve issues:

- The package of libzeep in unstable created three libraries of which
one is dependent on the other two. If you create shared libraries, you
have to link against those libraries. But using libtool I could not
manage to get the rpath in the library correct. I ended up ditching the
idea of having three libraries and merged them into one, monolithic
library. Not my favourite solution, but ok.

- So I now had one shared library called libzeep with an SONAME of
libzeep.so.5. But then lintian complained that the package name should
reflect the SONAME, and should be called libzeep5, not libzeep5.0 as it
is now.

I think I did what I could to comply to all the rules set up by Debian.
It has cost me way more time than I anticipated. I hope this rejection
is something that will not throw libzeep back into the queue.

best regards, -maarten

--
Maarten L. Hekkelman
http://www.hekkelman.com/