[Debian-med-packaging] Your upload of relion has a depencency to nvidia-cuda-toolkit and will not be accepted in main

Roland Fehrenbacher rf at q-leap.de
Thu Oct 1 12:31:13 BST 2020

Hi Andreas,

    A> Hi Roland, On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 01:57:39PM +0200, Roland
    A> Fehrenbacher wrote:
    >> Hi Andreas,
    >>
    A> Hi Roland, thanks a lot for your update of relion.  A minor issue
    A> is that the changelog mentiones version 2.1-1 which was never in
    A> Debian (since rejected by ftpmaster).  I personally would have
    A> integrated those changes in your new upload - but may be that's a
    A> matter of taste.

I removed the 2.1 entry in the relion changelog now.

    A> Cool you added the test but this is not reflected in the
    A> changelog.  Moreover I think its a good idea if we could find
    A> every package that claims to be uploaded to unstable at
    A> snapshots.debian.org (which is not the case for 2.1-1 and
    A> 3.1.0-1) and a paragraph will mention all changes between the
    A> latest upload and the current one.

if you point me to the instructions about how to upload to
snapshots.debian.org, I can do it.

    A> But now to the real issue: Relion
    >>
    A> Build-Depends: nvidia-cuda-toolkit
    >>
    A> And your control file has
    >>
    A> Package: relion-cuda Section: contrib/science
    >>
    A> It is not possible to have a source package in main
    A> Build-Depending from a non-free package and creating a binary
    A> package in contrib.
    >>
    >> Can you give me a reference for this rule?

    A> I admit I'm to lazy to seek any documents for this.  However,
    A> that rule is pretty simple.  Everything in main is official
    A> Debian and nothing else.  So you can not build current relion
    A> with official Debian (since you are Build-Depending from
    A> "something else") neither are all your build targets part of
    A> official Debian.  This is simply not permitted (and I'm pretty
    A> sure its documented somewhere).

I had a discussion about this on debian-devel which clarified things.

    >> We had a discussion about this point when I did 2.1, and the way
    >> I did it now, was the suggested way at the time.

    A> I'm pretty sure I didn't took part in this discussion or
    A> alternatively I was not clear in my mind.  I would never have
    A> something else than above if I would have understood the
    A> intention.

Please see the discussion leading up to
But you probably didn't realize what I was intending to do and I
misinterpreted your comments.

    A> IMHO you need to split this up into two source packages:

    A> 1. one that builds with packages in main and creates packages
    A> in main exclusively

    A> 2. one source package that can include packages from non-free
    A> and issue binary packages to contrib or non-free

I just uploaded relion and relion-cuda (to contrib) as separate source
packages. The git repo now has a new branch debian-contrib/master from
which relion-cuda can be built.

Best,

Roland