[Debian-med-packaging] Python 3.9 for bullseye

Matthias Klose doko at debian.org
Wed Oct 28 18:33:32 GMT 2020

On 10/23/20 1:07 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 10/18/20 12:13 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> Python 3.9 as a supported Python3 version is now in unstable, and all binNMUs
>> are done (thanks to Graham for the work).   Bug reports should be all filed for
>> all known problems [1], and the current state of the 3.9 addition can be seen at
>> [2] (a few of the "bad" are false packages with b-d n python3-all-dev, but not
>> building for 3.9, bug reports also filed).
>>
>> The major outstanding issue is the pandas stack, all other problems are found in
>> leaf packages (leaf in the sense of that no other package for the 3.9 addition
>> is blocked).
>>
>> Please help fixing the remaining issues!
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> [1]
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=python3.9;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org
>> [2] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9.html
>
> Going on with a test rebuild of 3.9 as default to file bug reports for more
> packages.  The first stage1 packages for 3.9 as default [1] can be found at
>
>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~doko/tmp/python3.9 ./
>   deb [trusted=yes] http://people.debian.org/~ginggs/python3.9-repo ./
>
> The first repo just having the python3-defaults packages from experimental. The
> second repo of course will be outdated very soon ...  Bug reports for stage1 are
> filed, Graham is now running the test builds for stage2.
>
> The autopkg test results at [2] need checking. There's currently a britney bug
> which marks things as bad, and only gets it right after a week. Plus there's no
> way to select an "unrelated" package from unstable for a test, and have it
> marked as a successful test.  So basically you need to wait until all the 3.9
> related fixes migrate to testing for running a successful autopkg test.
>
> Matthias
>
> [1] https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/python3.9-default.html
> [2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python3-defaults

Update:

 - Graham finished the test rebuilds with 3.9 as the default,
   and the archive on p.d.o is updated.  We don't plan to keep
   that up-to-date. Bug reports for ftbfs are filed.

 - Bug reports are also filed for all failing autopkg tests triggered
   by the python3-defaults upload.

 - Lucas made an archive-wide test rebuild for unstable, adding more
   RC ftbfs issues, mostly for python binary-indep (all) packages.
   These don't have the python3.9 user tag.

Matthias