[Debian-med-packaging] Breaking API change in ncbi-blast+

Étienne Mollier emollier at emlwks999.eu
Fri Jul 9 20:46:20 BST 2021

Hi again Andrew,

Étienne Mollier, on 2021-07-09:
> andrew at robbinsa.me, on 2021-07-02:
> > Ran into a particularly strange (and undocumented) issue on ncbi-blast 2.9.0-2 on my ubuntu server today in which invoking get_species_taxids.sh -n [query] would return the number of results, but not the taxon data in question. I then noticed that the parsing logic in the get_species_taxids for version 2.12.0 on ncbi’s site was different and, more importantly, functional. I submitted a bug report and debdiff patch on ubuntu’s bug report system (replaced the script with the 2.12.0 version). (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ncbi-blast+/+bug/1934402). I tested this on my Debian stable instance, and it appears the bug is there. I also tested ubuntu hirsute’s 2.10.0 version to the same failure. I did not test 2.11.0, but as the change was not documented I do not know whether it is fixed in that version.
>
> I'm not too sure I'll be able to help on that particular issue,
> but I wanted to let you know that the present mailing list
> mostly propagates automated emails.  So, you may have more luck
> triggering actions by opening a bug using the command reportbug,
> or by raising the problem on the more general Debian Med mailing
> list[1].

I learned in private message that the issue was sorted on Debian
side as well.  Please disregard my note about automated emails;
the present list is the right spot to discuss this sort of
technical issues.

Thank you again for your message!

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier at emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da