[Debian-med-packaging] bamtools_2.5.2+dfsg-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Oct 15 21:39:33 BST 2021

Hi Michael,

Am Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 03:22:17PM +0200 schrieb Michael Crusoe:
> Thanks for looking at this, but as per upstream they are bumping the SONAME
> with every release;
>
> +-    SOVERSION ${BamTools_VERSION}
> ++    SOVERSION "${BamTools_VERSION_MAJOR}.${BamTools_VERSION_MINOR}"
>
> So this patch of yours should be removed, unless setting the SONAME to
> 2.5.2 violates a policy

It does not violate the policy.  However, as far as I understood (which
might be terribly wrong) upstream has not understood the difference
between VERSION and SOVERSION.  Using the same as synonym is plain
wrong.  We could verify the assumption by providing a symbols file to
realise the need for a SOVERSION bump.

If you are really sure that upstream is changing ABI with every micro
version bump my patch is wrong.  This should be the answer to ftpmaster
question.  Feel free to ask for rejection of the package and revert
the patch.