[Debian-med-packaging] Any idea how to ask about a free license for caftools?

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Mar 14 13:02:40 GMT 2022

Hi James,

I'm contacting you since I hope you might provide some connection to
some person at Sanger who might be able to clarify the license of caf[1]
which points to version 2.0.2 from 2011.  However, the ftpdirectory[2]
contains version 2.0.3 (from 2020).

We can not ship that code in Debian due to its license which is
restricted to non-commercial purposes[3] which is considered non-free
due to its restriction.

It would be great if you could find some responsible person who could
change the license to something DFSG free (as most of the code from
Sanger we have packaged).

[1] https://www.sanger.ac.uk/tool/caf/
[2] ftp://ftp.sanger.ac.uk/pub/resources/software/caf/
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/caftools/-/blob/master/debian/copyright#L37