[Debian-med-packaging] Any idea how to ask about a free license for caftools? [EXT]

Robert Davies rmd at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 15:55:22 GMT 2022

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022, James Bonfield wrote:

> Hello Andreas,
>
> Rob Davies (CCed) will know more about the caftools origins.

It uses what was the standard GRL license at the time it was written,
which included the rather regrettable non-commercial use clause.

> Anything which is owned by GRL we can relicense under something less
> prohibitive.  Some of it builds on top of AceDB though, which is
> copyright MRC-LMB (Richard Durbin) and CRBM du CNRS (Jean Thierry-
> Mieg).
>
> AceDB ended up being relicensed under GPL:
>
>    https://github.com/richarddurbin/acedb
>
> So it's possible we may simply be able to replace those ancient bits
> of acedb in caftools with the equivalent functions culled out of the
> latest source tree and solve that licensing dilemma.  However it's a
> bit of work to do so may take a little time.
>
> I see other bits are taken from the Staden Package and are also
> copyright MRC.  These eventually ended up being reissued as a BSD
> license.  So I'm sure they're similarly solveable, if a problem.

It might not be too hard to relicense, as I don't think it had any non-GRL
contributions.  On the other hand, it's also been obsolete for over ten
years now, and was written with nothing like modern standards.  Do you
know how many people are interested in using it?  Unless there's a fairly
big audience, I'm not sure if we could justify the time needed to bring it
up to scratch, apart maybe as a very low priority side-project.

Rob.

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research