[Debian-med-packaging] Bug#1083564: psychopy: (build-)depends on deprecated module python3-pkg-resources
Yaroslav Halchenko
yoh at debian.org
Tue Sep 22 13:44:32 BST 2026
On Tue, 22 Sep 2026, Jon Peirce wrote:
> Should you switch to building Studio instead of PsychoPy Studio? We
> will eventually replace the app but we plan to support both for another
> year or so until we're confident that Studio is fully feature complete
> (e.g. right now it doesn't have built-in demos) and robust. In most
> ways it's superior to the old Python/wx app, but it's still a very new
> codebase so we're calling it the "beta" option for now. I guess the
> question is for you whether you want to support beta and/or deprecated
> packages
Coolio, thanks for the explanations!
So, I guess we should package psychopy-app package. I guess to
stay more inline with your naming convention we should keep calling it
'psychopy-app' while making current 'psychopy' source package produce
both 'python3-psychopy' and 'psychopy' binaries with latter depending on
'psychopy-app'. This way users would would keep installing "full"
'psychopy' would get both python package (python3-psychopy) and the GUI.
> Happy to jump on a call if that would help to clarify.
I think we got it clear. Now just someone needs to do it... Anyone from
debian-med has spare cycles or token?
PS unlike during COVID, I find it difficult to squeeze beer
through the zoom. Hope to cross paths in real life some time again.
May be next https://www.distribits.live (plans for 2027 one are starting
to form!)?
Cheers,
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience http://centerforopenneuroscience.org
Dartmouth College, 419 Moore Hall, Hinman Box 6207, Hanover, NH 03755
WWW: http://www.linkedin.com/in/yarik
More information about the Debian-med-packaging
mailing list