[Debian-med-packaging] Bug#1148800: emperor: FTBFS against python 3.15rc2

Maximiliano Curia maxy at debian.org
Wed Sep 23 22:24:38 BST 2026


Package: src:emperor
Version: 1.0.5+ds-1
User: debian-python at lists.debian.org
Usertags: python3.15
Tags: patch, ftbfs, forky, sid
Severity: important

Hi!

While rebuilding the python related packages against the Python 3.15rc2 version we found that emperor fails to build from source [1].

There are a bunch of issues that need to be tackled:
- Add patch to replace deprecated Sphinx methods removed in Sphinx 9.
- Update python3.12 patch with upstream "replace deprecated assertRaisesRegexp with assertRaisesRegex" (#830). [2]
- Update no_future_dependency patch with upstream patch "trim Python 2 crumbs" (#829). [3]
- Add patch for fallback version when package metadata is not found.
- Add patch to deal with install_nbextension on Notebook 7+.

I've applied these fixes in the sandbox [4] to verify that emperor builds successfully, please consider applying the patches to support the upcoming 3.15 version.

Setting the severity to important for now. Once Python 3.15 is released, it will be added to python3-defaults and this bug will become release critical.

Happy hacking,

[1]: https://debusine.debian.net/debian/r-python-python3.15/artifact/4829600/
[2]: https://github.com/biocore/emperor/commit/ba319b96e4072837e2c76bf597b2bc7ff5eb7259
[3]: https://github.com/biocore/emperor/commit/1ba443724d2b6ba26fa694f8b9ad3113e727786a
[4]: https://debusine.debian.net/debian/r-python-python3.15/

-- 
"Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" -- Sun Tzu
Saludos /\/\ /\ >< `/
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: emperor_1.0.5+ds-2.diff
Type: text/x-diff
Size: 22572 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/attachments/20260923/211ddfeb/attachment-0001.diff>


More information about the Debian-med-packaging mailing list