[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Changes needed for phoc 0.9.0 / phosh 0.14.0

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Tue Nov 2 09:31:34 GMT 2021

Hi,
On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 10:13:04PM +0200, Arnaud Ferraris wrote:
> Hi Guido,
>
> Le 29/10/2021 à 10:20, Guido Günther a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > while the recent phoc / phosh releases "work" on current Debian unstable
> > they require patches to work properly (e.g. not show splash screens
> > longer than needed or not showing them at all, blocking the shell on
> > startup) see
> >
> >    https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/phosh/-/tags/v0.14.0#required-patches-on-other-projects
> >
> > The wlroots patches are an ABI break so I intend to cherry pick them
> > onto 0.14.0 before uploading to unstable (currently in experimental) and
> > adding proper Breaks on sway / phoc so we don't need another ABI /
> > package name change and hence NEW processing.
> >
> > This leaves mostly the glib patches. I don't think they qualify for the
> > 2.70.x series. So should we leave phosh in experimental until the next glib
> > release? Are there other options?
>
> Thanks for exposing this matter! It does seem a bit complicated right
> now due to the patches to strategic packages.
>
> I'm not sure uploading a patched wlroots to unstable would be really
> relevant if we can't have phosh in as well: AFAIU the wlroots patches
> are only required for phosh and wouldn't offer any specific benefit to
> sway (please correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> If that's effectively the case, it might be enough to upload vanilla
> wlroots 0.14 to unstable, and push the patched version to experimental
> only, as no software in unstable would depend on it. Migrating the whole
> stack would then be possible once glib 2.72 is released and packaged
> into Debian.

Having patched and unpatched wlroots as different versions in
experimental wouldn't add that much and complicate things so I guess
it's sensible to just keep phosh 0.14.0 in experimental and not patch
wlroots 0.14.0 since I'd expect we have wlroots 0.15.0 by the time glib
2.72 gets closer.
Cheers
 -- Guido