[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Changes needed for phoc 0.9.0 / phosh 0.14.0

Arnaud Ferraris arnaud.ferraris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 21:13:04 BST 2021

Hi Guido,

Le 29/10/2021 à 10:20, Guido Günther a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> while the recent phoc / phosh releases "work" on current Debian unstable
> they require patches to work properly (e.g. not show splash screens
> longer than needed or not showing them at all, blocking the shell on
> startup) see
>
>    https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/phosh/-/tags/v0.14.0#required-patches-on-other-projects
>
> The wlroots patches are an ABI break so I intend to cherry pick them
> onto 0.14.0 before uploading to unstable (currently in experimental) and
> adding proper Breaks on sway / phoc so we don't need another ABI /
> package name change and hence NEW processing.
>
> This leaves mostly the glib patches. I don't think they qualify for the
> 2.70.x series. So should we leave phosh in experimental until the next glib
> release? Are there other options?

Thanks for exposing this matter! It does seem a bit complicated right
now due to the patches to strategic packages.

I'm not sure uploading a patched wlroots to unstable would be really
relevant if we can't have phosh in as well: AFAIU the wlroots patches
are only required for phosh and wouldn't offer any specific benefit to
sway (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If that's effectively the case, it might be enough to upload vanilla
wlroots 0.14 to unstable, and push the patched version to experimental
only, as no software in unstable would depend on it. Migrating the whole
stack would then be possible once glib 2.72 is released and packaged
into Debian.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Arnaud