[Debian-rtc-admin] [rt.debian.org #8880] Set a CNAME record in debian.org

Debian Developer via RT rt at rt.debian.org
Sat Jul 16 17:58:27 BST 2022

On Tue Jul 12 12:27:01 2022, jcristau wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 10:19:50PM +0000, Debian Developer via RT
> wrote:
> > in vogler.d.o we run prosody for DDs, like a year ago I made some
> > config, and dns, changes to make http upload possibles so people can
> > send each other cat pictures, so far so good.
> >

> > This setup broke some time ago for a common jabber client,
> > conversations (android client).
> >
> > (conversations tries to connect to debian.org:5281 to upload files
> > and fails)
> >
> > I've tested on my personal domain setting something similar to the
> > dns setup we use in Debian and in order to make this work I had 2
> > differences with debian.org. None of them makes a lot of sense but
> > here it goes
> >
> > - xmpp.$domain are an A and AAAA records pointing instead of a CNAME.
> > The xmpp subdomain is used for file transfer and the main connection
> > towards the service
> >
> > - conference.$domain is a CNAME towards xmpp.$domain, d.o does not
> > have this CNAME
> >
> > TL;DR
> >
> > could you DSA guys set a CNAME record pointing from
> > conference.debian.org to xmpp.debian.org and change xmpp.debian.org
> > from being a CNAME to A and AAAA records pointing to vogler's IPs?
> >
> This makes no sense to me, why does anything care about a "conference"
> name?

conference.debian.org is configured a vhost in prosody

```
gfa at vogler:/etc/prosody/conf.d$ cat debian.org.cfg.lua   | tail -6
Component "conference.debian.org" "muc"

Component "xmpp.debian.org" "http_upload"
disco_items = {
  { "xmpp.debian.org" };
}
```

I'm not 100% sure this change will make attachments work back on debian.org's prosody using conversations as a client, but I assume (let me know if I'm wrong) that changing 3 DNS records is cheap enough to try. If it does not work I'll ask for the changes to be reverted.

I've configured my personal prosody (zumbi.com.ar) like debian's to verify (server in a subdomain, conference and xmpp dns records, srv records to match) and it works fine. The only differences between setups is the mentioned DNS changes.