Sponsoring Imview

Teemu Ikonen tpikonen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 16:25:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Charles Plessy
<charles-listes+science-maintaiers at plessy.org> wrote:
> Le Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 11:03:29PM +0200, Teemu Ikonen a écrit :
>> There's a new version of Imview available at mentors.debian.net:
>> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/i/imview
>> It fixes some bugs and changes the maintainer to this list.
>
> I had a look (debdiff) on your updated package. The changes look
> straightforward, as they consist mostly in the application of a patch.
> However, with time, the information of what consists of this patch and
> what consists of other changes will get more and more difficult to
> extract, as your git repository does not seem to use branches, nor the
> source packages contains a copy of the unapplied patch.

Hi Charles and others,

Indeed you're right. I made a separate branch of the patch in the git
repository using TopGit, which seems to be all the rage now for
git-based patch managing. The package generated after this change in
git is identical to the previous one, so feel free to upload the
package in the URL above. It would be perhaps better to include the
patch as a separate file in debian/patches and make a version 3.0
(quilt) source package, but this will have to wait.

As for TopGit, it definitely has the right idea on how to manage
patches, but the tool itself needs some work still. Apparently it's
not possible to do a simple git clone from a remote repository and get
a working local TopGit repository as result, so some more wrapping of
the git functionality inside TopGit is needed. This means that if you
want to check out imview repository from git.debian.org and test
TopGit with it, it will not work, at least not without a lot of manual
tweaking.

Teemu