Issues with Git repositories

Manuel Prinz debian at pinguinkiste.de
Fri Jul 4 09:34:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

while playing around with Git I noticed that we have several permission
problems with out Git repositories. Some are not accessible by the group
so the whole concept of group maintainance is void. ;)

I assume that this happened on accident while creating the repositories.
They should be 2775. This can be forced by initializing with "git --bare
init --shared=all". Updating the repository does not seem to be
possible, so deleting the repository, initializing and pushing back a
local copy seems to be the easiest way. If someone has a better
solutions, I'd be very interested in knowing that!

I need your help to fix it, since the owners have to set up the correct
permissions. I wrote (well, hacked) a script that checks for the most
important issues. You will find it attached and the output below. If you
think it is useful I will place it in a repository under debian-science.
It could also run as a daily cron job and email the result to the list,
if you find that useful. (Be aware that is a little hacky. I wrote down
what came into my mind.)

The output is as follows:

bibutils: Description file not configured
bibutils: Repository should have 2775 permissions
bibutils: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
bibutils: Post-update hook should have 0775 permissions
findimagedupes: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
imview-doc: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
imview: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
mcl: Description file not configured
mcl: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
mcl: Post-update hook should have 0775 permissions
meshlab: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
ntl: Description file not configured
ntl: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
ntl: Post-update hook should have 0775 permissions
plotdrop: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
rasmol: Repository not owned by "debian-science" group
rasmol: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
rasmol: Post-update hook should have 0775 permissions
sketch: Repository should have 2775 permissions
sketch: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
sketch: Post-update hook should have 0775 permissions
vrr: Description file not configured
vrr: Repository should have 2775 permissions
vrr: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
vrr: Post-update hook should have 0775 permissions
yars: Description file not configured
yars: Commit hook should have 0775 permissions
yars: Post-update hook should have 0775 permissions

The discription file should contain just the package name. It is shown
in git-web and the commit emails. The hooks are not really neccessary
but I think it eases the maintainance if all commits would be pushed to
the commit list and users could clone via HTTP (though not recommended).

The post-update hook is not documented in the policy at the moment but
all there is to do is to make it executable.

If you have questions, please ask! I offer to fix the hooks for you if
the permission problems are resolved.

Best regards
Manuel