[Debian-science-maintainers] Commit messages (Was: Re: First post)

Manuel Prinz debian at pinguinkiste.de
Tue May 27 09:10:48 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, den 27.05.2008, 10:09 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>
> > 1) We only use debian-science-maintainers for maintainer questions
> > And use debian-science for more general science questions.
> > If so, yes, debian-science-commits will be necessary.
> >
> > 2) We use debian-science at lists.debian.org also for maintaining aspects.
> > If so, we can set the commit mails on debian-science-maintainers
>
> In Debian Med we use option 2) - that's why I suggested to use
> debian-science-maintainers for the commits as well in the first place
> because I was just used to this workflow.  It just turned out
> that the Debian Med list is low volume enough to also cope nicely
> with both functions (users and maintainer discussion).  But I have
> no strong opinion about option 1) or 2) - both are fine for me and
> I will teach my procmail rules to collect everything in my
> debian-science folder - so both options are OK

I also do not have too strong feelings about that but during the last
years debian-science was mainly used as a user list for science topics
with some packaging threads. (It's just feeling, I did not count or
verify.) I'd really like to keep it that way, meaning as a user list.
For maintenance topics, there is a -maintainers mailing list.

The reason why I like the split of lists is basically from my experience
in a large group, the Debian Java Maintainers. The mailing list fetches
all BTS mails from all of the ~120 packages which is quite much. User
request would just get lost, so there's a maintainers (or packaging)
mailing list aside from debian-java that catches that mails.
(debian-science-maintainers in our project.) The commit messages had to
go to a different mailing list because it were several dozens a day or
even more. Having that on the package list would simply flood it and BTS
mails would probably get lost or forgotten.

Of course, we have just a few packages at the moment but IMHO it's
better to split it right from the start before being sorry later. Also,
Debian Science is in my eyes also about the community. Flooding a
community list with packaging mails is not helpful; I fear that people
would turn away. Also, I know a lot of Debian users who do not have
their own customized mail setup (or access to the Debian infrastructure)
and do not even know what procmail is. They would not know how to deal
with all the mails and probably be frustrated about that.

In short: I think the split is reasonable to help our *users*.
Developers/Maintainers should be technically skilled enough to get the
mails to the place where they want to have it. (And/Or just get the
mails they are interested in.)

Best regards
Manuel