RFS: EngLab

Harry Serenis chserenis at ee.auth.gr
Mon Oct 6 23:31:00 UTC 2008

Quoting "Bernhard R. Link" <brlink at debian.org>:

> Your building is quite strange. You do not build anything in build but
> build the software in binary, doing both building and installing in a
> target s called build-*. (I understand you do this to get the different
> versions with different options, but you should at least change the name
> of the build-so and build-a rules to reflect them not only building or
> (much better) make your build system support out-of-tree builds so you
> can build both versions at the same time).

The build rules were renamed to build-libenglab and
build-libenglab-dev. The 2 packages are now configured and build in
separate subdirectories out-of-tree, hence they can be built
concurrently

> The differentiation of compile flags you use is also quote non-standard:
> you use the optimized flags for the shared library, but no optimisation
> for the static library. (When you want versions to debug, the normal way
> is either letting users build their own version with noopt/nostrip or
> to have an -dbg package with easier to debug packages, having this
> mixture is at least strange).

The static library CXXFLAGS were changed and are now the same as the
shared version ones. (-g -Wall -O3  where -O3 is controlled by
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)

> Why does binary-indep depend on build-so?

binary-indep now does nothing since there are no platform independent
files that need to be built.

> You do compile without any warnings at all. Please add at least -Wall
> to CXXFLAGS. That usually makes lives for porters (and yourself) much
> easier.

The -Wall flag was added.

> Upstream issues:

> 2)
> Having a soname with two numbers is unusual, calling the numbers making
> up the library major and minor might leed to confusion.

soversion now has only one number and we intend to keep it this way.

> 3) Compiling your source with warnings enabled (even when only -Wall)
> gives a large amount of warnings, please try to reduce those (at least
> unused variables, returning non-void functions without return, comments
> inside command and things like that are really easy to fix...).

We corrected all the warning messages.

> There might be more issues, but I run out of time...
>
> Hochachtungsvoll,
> 	Bernhard R. Link

Thank you we much for your time.

The new package has been uploaded to Debian mentors and appears to be
lintian clean.

main contrib non-free
- dget
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libenglab1/libenglab1_0.2.5-2.dsc