Bug#587007: salome: Porting patches to Salome 5.1.4 for upstream inclusion

Adam C Powell IV hazelsct at debian.org
Mon Jul 5 14:00:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:48 +0200, Andre Espaze wrote:
> Hello Adam,
> ...
> >> The second issue is the Debian constraint to build Salome with a HDF5
> >> library needing MPI. The corresponding patches (kernel-hdf5-needs-mpi.patch,
> >> kernel-mpi-includes.patch, kernel-mpi-libs.patch and so on) are
> >> not so welcomed by upstream.
> >Really?  Did they give an indication of why?  Well, that's a relatively
> >small patch for us to maintain.
> >From what I understood, building hdf5 with MPI is considered as
> unsupported. But I think that we can submit those patches and see
> if their politics change for a next release.

Okay, this approach makes sense.

> >> Hopefully an alternative way of using
> >> HDF5 may be provided as suggested by Sylvestre:
> >>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=576004
> > Thanks.  Unfortunately, the HDF5 group tends to take a long time to
> > respond to such requests (often many months, even when a patch is
> > available), so we shouldn't count on this to happen before our next
> > upload.
> I have to confess that I had better hope on that point.
> ...
> >> In conclusion what could be the organization for welcoming the future
> >> Salome 5.1.4 release? Should it be progressively ported on a separate
> >> branch by using the up-to-date sources [2]? Or would you prefer a one-shot
> >> transition from 5.1.3?
> > If upstream is not going to accept patches before 5.1.4, then I think
> > the one-shot transition makes the most sense.  But I appreciate your
> > examination of the upstream git repository to determine in advance what
> > changes we will need to make in order to port our patches to 5.1.4.
> Ok, it sounds fine to me. I am going to be unavailable until the end of
> August, then I can try the 5.1.4 transition at the beginning of September
> if needed.
> By the way, the 5.1.4 Salome version is now available at:
>     http://www.salome-platform.org/downloads/salome-v5.1.4

Okay.  I'm going to get a new 5.1.3 out to fix bugs and get the separate
build tree working -- maybe the new package layout too.  Then I'll bring
5.1.4 upstream into the git repository and see how much time I have to
port patches.

I'm glad we have a path to merging the patches with upstream, even if it
needs to wait for one more version.

GPG fingerprint: D54D 1AEE B11C CE9B A02B  C5DD 526F 01E8 564E E4B6

Engineering consulting with open source tools
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 190 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
URL: <http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-science-maintainers/attachments/20100705/c0f1742c/attachment-0001.pgp>

More information about the debian-science-maintainers mailing list