State of Salomé

Adam C Powell IV hazelsct at debian.org
Fri Sep 24 18:54:36 UTC 2010

Dear Salomé packaging enthusiasts,

The Debian Salomé package is good, and keeps improving.  But I don't
want to upload -11 until there's a fix for at least the RC bug, if not
two other runtime bugs, and I need some help.

The RC bug 595281 is FTBFS with three different errors on Alpha, IA64
and Sparc.  It looks like there may be a problem with IDL compiling of
GEOM_Gen.idl as all of the errors are in its generated source files.

The runtime bugs are 596957/596959 (identical and merged) and 597885,
one is a GEOM module segfault, the other looks like a CORBA problem
during Salomé initialization by runSalome.  I don't see either of these
problems, so I'm tempted to tag them "unreproducible".

A third relatively minor bug is 597739: salomeloader doesn't work
because of a simple-looking python issue of some kind, someone who knows
a little python should be able to fix it in 5 minutes.

I'm a bit over my head with all of these, and don't know where to start.
Can someone help at least with 595281, so we can upload and have a shot
at releasing with squeeze?

In other news, André has ported nearly all of our patches to the latest
upstream, and will send them in soon.  If all goes well, 5.1.5 (or
whatever the next upstream release number is) will have many of our
patches included, and packaging future releases will be *much* easier.
Thanks André!

Regards,
Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/