State of Salomé

Adam C Powell IV hazelsct at debian.org
Tue Sep 28 18:28:23 UTC 2010

Hello André,

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 11:04 +0200, Andre Espaze wrote:
> Hello Adam,
>
> > The Debian Salomé package is good, and keeps improving.  But I don't
> > want to upload -11 until there's a fix for at least the RC bug, if not
> > two other runtime bugs, and I need some help.
> >
> > The RC bug 595281 is FTBFS with three different errors on Alpha, IA64
> > and Sparc.  It looks like there may be a problem with IDL compiling of
> > GEOM_Gen.idl as all of the errors are in its generated source files.
> Whitout being developper, is it possible for me to access such platforms
> with a normal user account? Or should I try to work with a Debian
> developper? Or may you have another advice for trying the compilation
> on Aplha, IA64 and Sparc?

As far as I know, the Debian porting machines are restricted to
developers.  I will see if I can get some time to log in to one of those
machines and try a build.

> > The runtime bugs are 596957/596959 (identical and merged) and 597885,
> > one is a GEOM module segfault, the other looks like a CORBA problem
> > during Salomé initialization by runSalome.  I don't see either of these
> > problems, so I'm tempted to tag them "unreproducible".
> >
> > A third relatively minor bug is 597739: salomeloader doesn't work
> > because of a simple-looking python issue of some kind, someone who knows
> > a little python should be able to fix it in 5 minutes.
> >
> > I'm a bit over my head with all of these, and don't know where to start.
> > Can someone help at least with 595281, so we can upload and have a shot
> > at releasing with squeeze?
> I will try to investigate the remaining bugs tomorrow.

Thank you!  You may have seen someone else has found the same problem as
596957/596959 (the GEOM module segfault), so I can't tag it as
unreproducible.

> > In other news, André has ported nearly all of our patches to the latest
> > upstream, and will send them in soon.  If all goes well, 5.1.5 (or
> > whatever the next upstream release number is) will have many of our
> > patches included, and packaging future releases will be *much* easier.
> > Thanks André!
> You are very welcome! I was pleased to bring a minor contribution to
> the difficult task of Salome packaging. Thank you very much for leading
> such project. By the way, do you think that I can send the report and
> patches by the end of the week? Or would you prefer to have more time for
> a deeper review? Then from this Thursday, I am going to be unavailable
> until the 12th of October.

I should have time to review these patches by the end of the week, maybe
even today...

Thanks again,
Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/