dpkg-buildpackage and new "-indep" debhelper options

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Wed Dec 7 16:34:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 05:17:47PM +0100, Anton Gladky wrote:
> Thank you, Roger, for your extended response.
>
> >  What is preventing you from building the docs in build-indep?
> I am trying it to do it now, using new -indep and -arch options.
>
> > Are you using the latest debhelper?
> Yes, 8.9.11
>
> I have simplified debian/rules:
>
> ====================================
> #! /usr/bin/make -f
> BUILDDIR = $(CURDIR)/debian/build
>
> %:
> 	dh $@ --buildsystem=cmake --builddirectory=$(BUILDDIR)
>
> override_dh_auto_build-indep:
> 	cd $(BUILDDIR); $(MAKE) doc
> ====================================
>
> But I still have a problem. Docs are building with "-B" option.
>
> "dpkg-buildpackage -B" calls "dh build", but it should call "dh
> build-arch", isn't it?

Ah, yes.  You might want to look at #629385

The short story is that dpkg-buildpackage currently doesn't
call build-arch or build-indep; it just calls build.  The
above bug is discussing how best to enable their use.
Hopefully this should be resolved soon so we can use the
targets properly.  In the interim, you can either do the
build in the binary-indep target (nasty), or just deal
with the -indep target always being called unnecessarily.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh