ongoing slepc/petsc transition

Adam C Powell IV hazelsct at debian.org
Mon Feb 13 20:05:00 UTC 2012

Writing in with an update:

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 14:59 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct at debian.org> (26/01/2012):
> > On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 00:51 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > > That means one “OK-able” package, one “oops-broken-for-a-long-while”
> > > package, and several “unknown-status” packages. To keep everyone as
> > > testing candidates until this transition is ready, maybe re-uploading
> > > petsc 3.1 would do the trick? (Either with an epoch or with the
> > > 3.2-is-really-3.1-like dirty version.) This way, all packages can stay
> > > in testing and be updated through unstable w/o having to be entangled?
> >
> > I think we're closer than that, we've been active for the past couple of
> > weeks to make this happen.  The only unknown at this point is feel++.
> > Stuff to do looks like:
> >       * Upload a new petsc to fix some bugs (me, probably today)
> >       * Upload a new slepc with a tiny patch to add a header file (me,
> >         probably today)
> >       * Upload mpich2 from alioth to fix an RC bug (me, today or
> >         tomorrow)
> >       * Update to deal.II 7.1.0 (me, within a week)
> >       * Patch gmsh to work with petsc/slepc 3.2 (Christophe Trophime
> >         with my help, probably within a week)
> >       * Update DOLFIN (Johannes Ring, within a week)
> >       * Test/update feel++ (?? If nobody else I'll take a stab at it)
>
> Only in unstable anyway, so it can migrate later AFAICT.
>
> >       * Remove illuminator from testing (release team)
>
> dak rm seems happy with it, so it can be hinted out when the rest is
> ready.
>
> >       * Close the RC bug against mpi-defaults (which is pointless anyway
> >         because it transitioned just before I filed it, I'll do this
> >         today)
> >
> > It looks like there's a clear path to success, and this can all happen
> > within a week or two, then we can transition a bunch of stuff at once
> > including HDF5.  Otherwise we're stuck trying to do two transitions
> > which will take at least 4 weeks...
>
> This looks much better than my previous summary. :) And thanks for the
> details.

Of these packages (and some of their dependencies), hypre transitioned
this past weekend.

Ready to transition: mumps, petsc, slepc, hdf5 -- not sure why these
didn't go into testing this past weekend, they should all be ready.

Following later: elmerfem, deal.ii, feel++, dolfin, none of which is in
testing now anyway, all are currently broken in some way.

A new gmsh was just uploaded, not sure how it will affect things...

Needs removal from testing: illuminator

I think we're near the finish line...

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/