Fwd: Re: re bug 638959: gmp multiarch support - why not -dev too?

Julien Cristau julien.cristau at logilab.fr
Wed May 23 07:59:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 22:45:23 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> > > and each -dev has its own architecture-dependent <gmp-arch.h> file.
>
> Uh, I think this line misguided you; "arch" was meant to be a variable,
> not the literal string "arch".
>
> What I wanted to say is that at build time, architecture $ARCH creates
> a header gmp-$ARCH.h.  So there is currently a different set of files
> in the -dev package for each architecture.

I think that's fine, as long as no two debian architectures have the
same value for $ARCH (or their gmp-$ARCH.h is the same).

> I don't know how to create a "Multi-Arch Same" -dev package without
> moving gmp-$ARCH.h somewhere else.  Maybe creating a new arch-specific
> package just for the one file?  Ugh.  The other idea I had was to put
> it into libgmp10, but that violates the rule against containing files
> whose name does not vary with the SOVERSION (policy 8.2).  Any ideas?

"Multi-Arch: same" packages are allowed to (and often do) have different
file lists on each arch.  The restriction is that any file name that
*is* shared among architectures has the exact same contents.

Cheers,
Julien
--
Julien Cristau          <julien.cristau at logilab.fr>