cctbx debian package: new commit

Baptiste Carvello devel at baptiste-carvello.net
Wed Oct 3 15:31:15 UTC 2012

Le 03/10/2012 11:59, Radostan Riedel a écrit :
> On Wed, 03. Oct 11:11, Baptiste Carvello wrote:
>> 2) there are a few C++ applications which depend on cctbx, the one I
>> know is FOX ( http://vincefn.net/Fox/ , objcryst-fox in Debian). For
>> those use cases, should we still build a libcctbx-dev package with the
>> headers and static libs (for those we don't need to care about ABI
>> stability)?
> I think this is a very important point here. Let's assume I want to extent the cctbx by
> adding a module, for let's say absorbtion correction and I want to implement a
> method called "multiscan" and I want to make a fast python boost extension to integrate
> with my python code. I need some symbols from any of the shared libs in cctbx.
> How could this be done in Debian or in any other distribution?

Well, this use case is more difficult than FOX. Static libs might not
work here, because you would end up with 2 copies of the cctbx libs
loaded in the same process. I'm not sure boost-python can deal with
that. I don't really see a way to support this use case in Debian
without ABI stability.

Cheers,
Baptiste

PS: I removed the cctbxbb mailing list from the CC. Did you add it on
purpose?