cctbx debian package: new commit

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 25 19:56:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, 19. Oct 10:59, Frédéric-Emmanuel Picca wrote:
> great, the upstream do not want to distribute C++ library, but only the cctbx python modules.
> this is there choice. Now if other projects are using directly the C++ libraries, they need to discuss with
> cctbx upstream and ask for a stable c++ API.
>
> can we list in the wiki the list of project using directly the c++ libraries ?
I don't know any.
> I thinks that a good reason to install thoses shared library under a private directory
>  (/usr/lib/cctbx) is to save some space for small systems
>
> do you know how much space should be saved if all extensions were
> statically linked or shared linked ?
>
> now if the space saved is small, let's link directly the extension and distribut only
> python-cctbx package and nothing else.
Depends what small is. If you want to embed code on small devices even 1mb is
big ;). In my opinion if the libraries are not intended to be public the symbols
should be part of the extensions.

regards
Radi

P.S. I'm still alive. I just haven't checkout any new code in git for a while
since I'm really busy and I'm really waiting for upstream to accept any of our
work or just tell me what I did wrong to rework anything. I don't want to waste
time on that if upstream has no intension to use any of our patches.