Comments regarding timbl_6.4.4-2_i386.changes

Ko van der Sloot Ko.vanderSloot at uvt.nl
Mon May 27 12:37:35 UTC 2013

On 05/25/2013 12:36 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is the versioned -dev package needed (i.e. do you really need libtimbl4-dev or
> would libtimbl-dev work as well)?
Hello Ansgar,

Well, the previous version was called libtimbl3-dev.
There were a lot of changes in the software, so incrementing to 4 seemed
a good plan.

But according to
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html and given the
fact that we don't want to support several -dev versions, it might be a
good plan to
change the name to libtimbl-dev.

I am not sure if it is realy a big deal?
Changing the name will affect the dependencies of upcoming releases of 5
or 6 other packages too.
So if it is wise to change, it is better to do it now, I suppose.

Advise welcome...

Ko vd Sloot