polygene

Newburn Retterbush radicalise at bis500druck.de
Tue Apr 15 08:05:08 UTC 2014

ate services are overcro

Ffect of my roller contrivance--a vast sky shedding an equal illumination over the actors and giving every object its natural shadows. _La Muette_ is being played, we will say; the famous _cavatina_, the slumber-song, is heard beneath a transparent sky, vaulted like the real thing and giving the impression of boundless space. The effect of the music is doubled! Fenella wakes, crosses the boards with cadenced tread; her shadow, which follows her on the floor, is cadenced like her steps; it is nature and art both together That is my invention! As for putting it in execution, why, the means are childishly simple." Thereupon he entered upon endless explanations, using technical terms and illustrating his meaning with everything he could lay hands on--glasses, saucers, matches. His frayed sleeves, as they swept to and fro, wiped the marble top of the table and set the glasses rattling. Disturbed by the noise, the Marquis Tudesco, who was asleep, half opened his eyes mechanically. Servien kept nodding his approval and repeating that he quite understood, to stop the old man's babble. Then he advised the architect to try and put his invention in practice; but he only shrugged his shoulders--it was years since he had left off trying anything. After all, what did it matter to him whether his system was applied or no? He was an inventor! Recalled for the third time by his young listener to Gabrielle T----'s mother: "She never had any great success on the stage," he declared; "but she was a careful woman and saved money. She was near on fifty when I came upon her again in Paris living with Adolphe, a very handsome young fellow of twenty-five or twenty-six, nephew of a stockbroker. It was the most loving couple, the merriest, happiest household in the world. Never once did I breakfast at their little flat, fifth floor of a house in the _Rue Taitbout_, without being melted to tears. 'Eat, my kitten,' 'Drink, my lamb!' and such looks and endearments, and each so pleased with the other! One day he said to her: 'My kitten, your money does not bring you in what it ought; give me your scrip and in forty-eight hours I shall have doubled your capital.' She went softly to her cupboard and opening the glass doors, handed him her securities one by one with hands that trembled a little. "He took them unconcernedly and brought her a receipt the same eve