Comments from ftpmaster regarding spdep Debian package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jul 30 19:36:22 UTC 2014

Hi Andreas,

This isn't a patch to my spdep/inst/README file. I have no knowledge of
any debian/copyright file, and cannot take responsibility for that (I
don't think installing from source is a problem for non-OSX/Windows users;
I do not use Debian systems, and do not know anything about their
packaging systems other than very bad experiences with people with messed
up GIS packages). If you want me to patch anything, diff from
spdep/inst/README on R-forge. In particular:

  Copyright: 2005 Yongwan Chun, Michael Tiefelsdorf and Roger Bivand
  License: GPL-2+

looks very wrong. The list of contributors is in spdep/DESCRIPTION in R
standard parsable form;

+Files: R/bptest.sarlm.R
+Copyright: 1998 Joseph O'Rourke <orourke at cs.smith.edu>

isn't the correct file - should be src/soigraph.c.

I'd be grateful if you'd run any (unneeded) copyright file by me before
proceeding. If such a file is needed, it should only point to the correct
file within the R package (otherwise they will get out of sync).

As you can see, the "decision" of a "master" is of very little use to me,
I'll humour your attempts if you do things right, but have no need to see
spdep distributed in this way - Debian users should IMO always install R
packages from source to avoid unintended incompatibilities.

Best wishes,

Roger

--
Roger Bivand