non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink in a dev package

Roelof Berg rberg at berg-solutions.de
Fri Feb 27 21:34:51 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm currently busy with packaging for Debian Science (#777000, limereg),
and because I'm new to Debian packaging, your expertise is greatly
appreciated. Hope this is the right list.

After successfully packaging 'liblimereg0', I want to package
'liblimereg-dev' (with an additional .so and .h file). I get the
following lintian warnings:
package-name-doesnt-match-sonames liblimereg0
non-dev-pkg-with-shlib-symlink usr/lib/liblimereg.so.0.9.1
usr/lib/liblimereg.so

It seems that lintian doesn't recognize this as a '-dev' package, which
is allowed/intended to have an .so file. I would assume that lintian
recognizes the '-dev' suffix ? Or how should I tell lintian that this is
a lib*-dev package ?

Thank you,
Roelof