Comments regarding r-cran-spdep_0.5-92-1_amd64.changes

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Apr 4 16:52:24 UTC 2016

Hi Andreas,

I have added:

/*
This code is described in "Computational Geometry in C" (Second Edition),
Chapter 8.  It is not written to be comprehensible without the
explanation in that book.

Prints out one arm configuration to reach given target.
Assumes number of links >= 3.
Input:
    nlinks           Number of links
    L1 L2 ... Ln     Link lengths
    x0 y0            target0
    x1 x2            target1

Written by Joseph O'Rourke.
Last modified: December 1997
Questions to orourke at cs.smith.edu.
This code is Copyright 1998 by Joseph O'Rourke.  It may be freely
redistributed in its entirety provided that this copyright notice is
not removed.
*/

to spdep/src/soigraph.c (committed to R-forge, will be released when the
next release occurs). This is the comment at the top of arm.c from:

http://cs.smith.edu/~orourke/CGCode/SecondEdition/Ccode2.tar.gz

which is the author's code distribution site, and is more relevant than
the printed text of the book. We've used the same approach in sp/src/pip.c
for over ten years without attracting Debian's ire.

Nicholas and I understood in 2001 that ... may be freely redistributed ...
could reasonably be taken as permission to include and redistribute these
small functions.

Do you want me to revisit the separate packaging of data sets?

Best wishes,

Roger