conflicts between VTK/XDMF and libloki

Alastair McKinstry mckinstry at debian.org
Mon Dec 5 13:56:02 UTC 2016

I'm the maintainer of xdmf, which I packaged to work with VisIT and
related code (in particular CDAT, which  uses VISIT).

I originally packaged xdmf, recently moving up to xdmf3 as required by
VTK 7+. (I plan to submit a patch to VTK later to use the external xdmf
rather than its internal copy.)

However it appears that xdmf3 ships its own version of libloki, which
conflicts, especially /usr/include/loki/*

The xdmf version is similar except it applies its own patch to
/usr/include/loki/Visitor.h, where it passes Xdmf shared pointers, thus
breaking the API/ABI:

(Compare
https://sources.debian.net/src/libloki/0.1.7-3/include/loki/Visitor.h/
and
https://sources.debian.net/src/xdmf/3.0%2Bgit20160803-1/core/loki/Visitor.h/
)

I'm at a loss what to do at this point - can the libloki and VTK
packagers give an opinion?

Best regards
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair at sceal.ie>, <mckinstry at debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.