Upgrading OpenMPI libraries

Alastair McKinstry mckinstry at debian.org
Thu Jul 28 06:13:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'd like to draw your attention to an on-going discussion wrt. OpenMPI
and upgrades:

https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/1906

Basically, I'd like to know: did we ever successfully support upgrades
of openmpi in Debian?

Currently, because of unversioned plugins, libopenmpi2 will conflict
with libopenmpi1.10.3 (and libopenmpi1.10, and libopenmpi1.6,
libopenmpi1, ... ). This is suboptimal, especially if we grow the number
of packages built against mpi.

At the moment, the best solution seems to be:

* put the unversioned plugins in a versioned directory $blah/2.0.0/*.so
accessed via RPATH from the libopenmpi* libraries
* Add versioned symbols to OpenMPI.

This would be significant work, and in practice have to be led by Debian
(err, yes, I could do it).
I'd like comments on this before proceeding.

Best regards
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair at sceal.ie>, <mckinstry at debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.