Upgrading OpenMPI libraries

Alastair McKinstry mckinstry at debian.org
Thu Jul 28 07:24:37 UTC 2016

On 28/07/2016 07:48, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 28/07/2016 à 08:13, Alastair McKinstry a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to draw your attention to an on-going discussion wrt. OpenMPI
>> and upgrades:
>>
>> https://github.com/open-mpi/ompi/issues/1906
>>
>> Basically, I'd like to know: did we ever successfully support upgrades
>> of openmpi in Debian?
> As the programs using openmpi had to be rebuilt, I don't think we ever
> really worked on that :/
Yes. I suspect whether it would work hangs on the question: will
openmpi-bin (>= 2.0.0) tools work with software built against
libopenmpi1.10 ?

I'm loath to give up on upgradability. We have an increasing number of
packages built against mpi (hdf5, netcdf etc) and I would like to see it
possible that the mpi-enabled version be the default. The current
behaviour of needing to rebuild everything (and breaking all user codes
- especially when we don't support static builds) is not good.

(At work we're testing out MPI 3.1 features, and have been coming to the
conclusion that long-term MPI3 + compiler support may trump OpenMP. If
this works out to be true, we could see the majority of codes becoming
MPI rather than threaded in the future).

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair at sceal.ie>, <mckinstry at debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.