Open-CoArrays for gfortran?

Alastair McKinstry mckinstry at debian.org
Wed May 25 08:25:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

has anyone considered building gfortran for Debian with OpenCoarrays?

Fortran as of 2013  is now a PGAS language [2], allowing parallel
programming.  It does this by adding co-arrays, allowing running images
to access images on other nodes/cores directly rather than requiring
MPI, etc. This allows for performance benefits under the hood as the
compiler overlaps computation and communication .

gfortran as built allows this syntatically using libcaf_single, allowing
coarrays to 'work' but not actually in parallel. It can be built using
OpenCoArrays, apparently (I haven't tried this yet), which in turn uses
mpich or openmpi.

Before I submit an ITP, has anyone in Debian investigated this?

best regards
Alastair McKinstry

[1] http://www.opencoarrays.org/

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitioned_global_address_space

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair at sceal.ie>, <mckinstry at debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.