ros python to python3 conversion

Jochen Sprickerhof jspricke at debian.org
Sun Aug 4 20:26:31 BST 2019

Hi Scott,

* Scott Kitterman <debian at kitterman.com> [2019-08-04 01:52]:
>I took a brief look at python3 support in ros, and as far as I can tell, it
>appears to be python3 ready, it just needs someone to change it over.

That's actually still to be tested. I added python3- packages during the
last release cycle and did some initial testing, but upstream still
declares it as an open task:

https://discourse.ros.org/t/planning-future-ros-1-distribution-s/6538
https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/issues/21513
https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/149

> Since
>it seems like there are multiple packages involved, I would appreciate it if
>someone in debian-science would have a look and see about changing it over.  I
>started with python-rviz and got confused from there.

Currently I go through all ROS packages to update them to the newest
versions (that piled up during the buster freeze) and I found some with
Python 3 updates already. My plan is to setup a test environment with
Python 3 only builds of all packages next and to test them, but I can't
promise any dates, currently. Would be great if you (or anyone else)
could help with that. I would be happy to help with it.

What did you confuse in python-rviz? Would be happy to make the
ROS Debian world more transparent.

Cheers

Jochen