Comments regarding tensorflow_2.0.0-1_amd64.changes

Sean Whitton spwhitton at spwhitton.name
Mon Mar 2 20:26:28 GMT 2020

Hello Mo,

On Mon 02 Mar 2020 at 01:27AM +00, M. Zhou wrote:

> There are two embedded source tarballs:
> 1. abseil-cpp: the upstream (google) development model makes
>    it unsuitable for debian packaging. This is a mandatory
>    dependency of tensorflow. hence the embedded tarball.

Thanks.  If you don't expect any other packages to use it soon, then it
would be okay to embed it.

> 2. eigen3: debian ships another version of this package. However,
>    tensorflow is tightly coupled with a specific snapshot version
>    by upstream. building against debian's eigen3 will result in
>    nothing but FTBFS. Patching tensorflow to fix the insane amount
>    of API breaks could be impractical as currently there is only
>    one person working on this stuff.

In this case I don't see why tensorflow should get a special exception
-- typically we would not include in Debian something which could not be
made to build against our regular version of a library.  (Policy 4.13
and longstanding practice)

I don't see how the fact it's a headers-only library makes a difference
here.

--
Sean Whitton