Comments regarding netgen_6.2.1810+dfsg1-1_amd64.changes

Kurt Kremitzki kurt at kwk.systems
Wed May 27 07:45:32 BST 2020

Hello,

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 10:51:25 PM CDT Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask why libnglib has no SONAME and instead encodes the
> full upstream version number in the binary package name.  This is
> causing the package to hit binary-NEW with every upstream release.

This is an upstream bug which I recognized as a problem in this upload. I
attempted a fix (note the .changes file lists the binary package libnglib-6.2),
which I knew was not the ideal fix, but I figured by the time the new version
got through NEW, I would know how to fix it correctly.

I submitted a bug to upstream [1] which describes the fixes needed in their
CMake configuration. If I don't hear from them before too long I will come up
with a patch unilaterally which addresses this issue.

> This seems especially pointless given that there are no rdepends on
> sid, so far as I can tell.

FreeCAD has optional integration with netgen which has languished because of
packaging problems which I am trying to address. Additionally, upstream's
"main" effort, ngsolve, depends on netgen, but it isn't packaged yet.

> Also, an ftptrainee noticed that d/copyright does not account for
> debian/, ng/Togl-1.7 and ng/Togl2.1.  Do the copies of Togl make it
> into the binary packages, or are they only used in the build process,
> or what?

ng/Togl-1.7 is leftover cruft, and ng/Togl2.1 is really only needed for Mac
builds, though a tiny patch is required to not use it during building. There
is a libtogl.a produced during the build but not included in libnglib-dev (or
elsewhere.) Both directories can be excluded in d/copyright and removed on the
next upstream code import.

[1] https://github.com/NGSolve/netgen/issues/61