Sponsoring of packages for the next stable release

Ryan Pavlik ryan.pavlik at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 17:10:25 GMT 2021

Update: I re-did it calling it 3.0.rc2+repack1 since the ~ ended up
breaking piuparts on CI. It's just a minor detail in the scheme of
things, I assume. I have pushed to the team repo.

It should be "safe" to release now. There is new support for OpenMP and
LTO, but without direct access to experimental and buildd's of the
various architectures, I wouldn't want to upload a package to unstable
at this point with those enabled and risk breaking it. It works fine, if
a smidge slower than possible, without openmp and LTO enabled, so I
think probably leave it well enough alone.

I've added some autopkgtests using the CLI interface as completely as
possible without modifying the source tree, which should help too.
Probably the most fragile part of the package is the use of three-js
(libjs-three) for the HTML trimesh viewer export: if that gets updated
and breaks something being used, the export will appear to work fine but
will hit a javascript error on usage. I'd be interested to learn how to
write up the test to catch this, if anybody has ideas.

Thanks!

Ryan