zarr and numcodecs sponsorship

Antonio Valentino antonio.valentino at tiscali.it
Sun Jan 31 09:45:34 GMT 2021

Dear Anton,

Il 30/01/21 19:37, Anton Gladky ha scritto:
> Hi Antonio,
>
> I have just tried to build pysph, but tests are failing. The same
> is in CI-pipelines. Could you please check?

The failure in CI is expected IMHO for i386 because
libtrilinos-zoltan-dev an all dependent packages are not available on
that platform.

pysph builds successfully in my git-pbuilder on x86_64.
I suspect that the problem in CI is due to the fact that at least to
core are necessary to run parallel tests.
Is is the case on you build environment?
... an most of all how many cores are available in a standard builder?

The relevant part of the error message is the following IMHO:

"""
There are not enough slots available in the system to satisfy the 2
slots that were requested by the application:
   /usr/bin/python3.9
Either request fewer slots for your application, or make more slots
available for use.
A "slot" is the Open MPI term for an allocatable unit where we can
launch a process.  The number of slots available are defined by the
environment in which Open MPI processes are run:
   1. Hostfile, via "slots=N" clauses (N defaults to number of
      processor cores if not provided)
   2. The --host command line parameter, via a ":N" suffix on the
      hostname (N defaults to 1 if not provided)
   3. Resource manager (e.g., SLURM, PBS/Torque, LSF, etc.)
   4. If none of a hostfile, the --host command line parameter, or an
      RM is present, Open MPI defaults to the number of processor cores
In all the above cases, if you want Open MPI to default to the number
of hardware threads instead of the number of processor cores, use the
--use-hwthread-cpus option.
Alternatively, you can use the --oversubscribe option to ignore the
number of available slots when deciding the number of processes to
launch.
"""

Probably I could try to patch the code to force the number of slots to 2
even on a single core machine but I'm not sure that it makes sense to
test a parallel program in this conditions.
The alternative could be to disable offending tests.

Which is the most convenient option for you?

kind regards
antonio

--
Antonio Valentino