Install fenics from ppa on Ubuntu 20.04

Andrius Merkys merkys at debian.org
Thu Nov 25 10:04:43 GMT 2021

Hi Sebastian,

On 2021-11-23 16:00, Sebastian Dransfeld wrote:
> Installed fenics with «apt get fenics», and it fails because it cannot
> find /usr/lib/petsc/include/petscconf.h. This file is provided by
> libpetsc-real-dev, but it is provided by alternatives. So it isn’t
> available until this package has been completely set up. So the install
> succeeds if this package is installed first. Can it be forced in the
> «fenics» package that this dependency is completely installed first?

Thanks for the report. I attempted reproducing your problem on Debian
sid with fenics package version 1:2019.2.0.5 (Ubuntu 20.04 has
1:2019.1.0.3). Not sure what you have received from PPA, though.

On clean Debian sid chroot the package installed successfully despite
many errors like the following:

  Error processing line 3 of /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mshr.pth:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site.py", line 175, in addpackage
        exec(line)
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
    FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/lib/petsc/include/petscconf.h'

  Remainder of file ignored

(this looks bad, and mentions the same file as you had trouble with).

Nevertheless, importing Python modules for fenics [1] worked for me.
What led you to failures? (I am not using fenics myself)

[1]
https://sources.debian.org/src/fenics/1:2019.2.0.5/debian/tests/test-fenics/

Best,
Andrius