What do I source with ros-desktop-full?

Jochen Sprickerhof jspricke at debian.org
Fri Oct 22 13:20:06 BST 2021

Hi Amber,

thanks for trying ros-desktop-full. Note that the version Debian does
not contain all the packages as the one provided by ros.org, but it is
usable and you if needed you can compile the missing bits yourself:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Robotics/ROS

* Amber G <fishandmicrochips at disroot.org> [2021-10-22 11:42]:
>I'm getting started with the Miro-E MDK as part of a university
>project, and the install script sources
>/opt/ros/$MIRO_ROS_RELEASE/setup.bash in order to function. In my
>case, MIRO_ROS_RELEASE=noetic.
>
>I want to create a symbolic link to wherever the ros-desktop-full
>package's setup.bash is in order to get the script to run correctly.
>
>Is there such a setup.bash with the ros-desktop-full package? If not,
>and the ROS environment is already initialized by default, then I'll
>simply edit the install script such that the toplevel setup.bash isn't
>sourced.

The Debian ROS packages don't need a setup.bash, everything is installed
into the default directories, so for example this just works:

$ sudo apt install ros-desktop-full
$ roscore &
$ rviz &
$ rostopic list