libflame as an alternative to liblapack?

Marek Nečada marek at necada.org
Tue Feb 22 09:02:46 GMT 2022

Dear Science Team,

according to the description of the libflame1 package,

> libflame includes a compatibility layer, lapack2flame, which includes
> a complete LAPACK implementation
However, libflame is not listed among the alternatives to lapack; on my
system (debian stable, amd64), I get (with libflame1 and libflame-def
installed):

> $ update-alternatives --list liblapack.so-x86_64-linux-gnu
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lapack/liblapack.so
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/liblapack.so
Interestingly, libflame's sister library libblis *does* appear as an
alternative to libblas:

> $ update-alternatives --list libblas.so-x86_64-linux-gnu
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/blas/libblas.so
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/blis-pthread/libblas.so
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openblas-pthread/libblas.so

Is there a particular reason for *not* having libflame as an alternative
to liblapack? (I am using lapack via lapacke and it would be really
convenient to just switch the backend via update-alternatives.)

Best regards,
Marek Nečada