GMP docs not shipped "due to licensing"

Ansgar ansgar at debian.org
Wed Jun 1 10:41:31 BST 2022

On Mon, 2022-05-30 at 10:31 +0200, Simon Sobisch wrote:
> Thank you for the quick answer. This part is just about those two texts?
> I think it would be useful to have a bit elaboration on it in the file
> gmp/debian/README.Debian.

Yes. Debian decided years ago that this is a non-free condition; see
[1] for more details (Choice 2 was the winning option).

  [1]: https://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001#amendmenttexta

> Maybe my understanding is not correct - then please share some light on
> this - but the parts you refer as problems only mean that Debian would
> have to either ship the distributed generated documentation (html and/or
> pdf) as-is or generate the docs without patching away the sub-title "A
> GNU Manual" and the sentence “You have freedom to copy and modify this
> GNU Manual, like GNU software” at then end of the documentation, no?
>
> Would there even be a reason to patch those?

Sure there can be reasons: if you fork the project and make substantial
changes, it certainly doesn't seem right to have to add a "A GNU
Manual" front-cover text if it does no longer describe GNU software.
I think there are other reasons too such as merging multiple documents
into one or such. One can probably fine more in endless mail threads
from the time of the decision above.

Ansgar